Buying Property In European Union Countries After Brexit

Brexit will not be the end of your dream to own an overseas property. While there will be some changes for Brits looking to make the move to a European Union Country, property buying will be unaffected.

However, there are important changes to note, for example, if you decide to move permanently or stay for durations longer than 90 days within a 180 period, new rules come into effect. So let’s take look at the key changes;

Buying Property

Purchasing a property in countries such as France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece etc, does not come under the control of the European Union. Just like any EU citizen, you are permitted to buy a property and rent it out.


Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will no longer be valid for most UK citizens. It is recommended that you purchase travel insurance with healthcare cover before travelling to European Union countries for holidays. Similarly, retirees will need to take out health insurance cover.

UK state pensioners who have been living in the EU before 31 December 2020 will be able to use their EHIC. It is also valid for students starting courses before the deadline and covers them until their course finishes.

Further arrangements are expected to be agreed in the future, but for now the above applies.


British citizens will require an International Driving Permit (IDP) which is available from any UK post office for £5.50. If you are taking your own vehicle, A Green Card (International Motor Insurance Card), certificate of motor insurance and the log book (V5C) for the vehicle.

Pensions & Banking

British expats retiring in a European Union country are faced with some uncertainty until an agreement has been reached. If you are concerned about the effect on your private pension, state pension or annuity we can help.

If you are already living abroad, you may have received a notice from your UK bank advising you that you need to close your account. If your pension payments are made into that account, you’ll have to open a local bank account and have the pension paid into that account.

Alternatively, international money transfer specialists can provide you with a UK bank account to receive your pension payments, giving you the option to disperse the payments in whatever currency you need and at much better exchange rates than the banks.


As mentioned earlier you will be able to stay with a visa for up to 90 days within a 180 period. Stays longer than 90 days will require a visa. You’ll need to check what schemes are in place with the European Union country you have in mind.

We would be happy to answer any questions. Get in touch by calling us on +44 330 0575 990 or email

Recommended Articles

Get The Latest Updates

Receive the latest blog updates, guides and news, sent directly to your email inbox